SQL - Structured Query Language
SQL is the standard language for accessing and manipulating databases.
Common database management systems are: MySQL, SQL Server, Access, Oracle, Sybase, and DB2
Knowledge of SQL is invaluable for anyone who wants to store or retrieve data from a database.
What is SQL?
- SQL stands for Structured Query Language
- SQL allows you to access a database
- SQL is an ANSI standard computer language
- SQL can execute queries against a database
- SQL can retrieve data from a database
- SQL can insert new records in a database
- SQL can delete records from a database
- SQL can update records in a database
- SQL is easy to learn
SQL Database Tables
A database usually contains one or more tables. Each table is identified by a name (e.g. "Customers" or "Orders"). Tables contain records (rows) with data.
Below is an example of a table called "Persons":
The table above contains three records (one for each person) and four columns (LastName, FirstName, Address, and City).
With SQL, we can query a database and have a result set returned.
A query like this:
Gives a result set like this:
How to Learn SQL?
Study our Complete SQL tutorial
Thank You For Helping Us!
Your message has been sent to W3Schools.