The Opera Browser
Opera is a web browser developed by Opera Software AS.
Opera started out as a research project at Telenor, the largest Norwegian telecommunications company, in 1994.
Opera is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Opera Mini is for Android.
Opera uses the Blink rendering engine, so the web standards support should be similar to Google Chrome.
The values below are in percentages and are extracted from our W3Schools' Statistics.
|2009||Total||O10||O 9.5||O 9||Other|
|2008||Total||O10||O 9.5||O 9||Other|
Opera 42 was released on December 13, 2016.
Opera 42 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Built-in currency converter
- Smarter and faster startup
- Easy to add news feeds from websites
- Comes with the network installer for 64-bit builds, which installs the best option for you
- Updated support for the latest Chromium/Blink version 54
Opera 41 was released on October 25, 2016.
Opera 41 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Improvement of up to 86% in startup time
- Better battery time when video conferencing via WebRTC
- Updated support for the latest Chromium/Blink version 54
Opera 40 was released on September 19, 2016.
Opera 40 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Free, unlimited, no-log browser VPN service
- Automatic battery saving
- Chromecast support
- Video pop-out improvements
- Newsreader with RSS support
- Updated support for the latest Chromium/Blink version 53
Opera 39 was released on August 2, 2016.
Opera 39 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Popup bubble
- Support for the ES2016 exponential operator
- Updates to the Fetch API and Web Audio
- Updated support for the latest Chromium/Blink version 52
Opera 38 was released on June 8, 2016.
Opera 38 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- New Power Saver Mode
- Custom ad-blocker lists
- Updated support for the latest Chromium/Blink version 51
Opera 37 was released on May 4, 2016.
Opera 37 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Integrated ad blocker
- Video Pop Out - Enables to display videos in a small overlay on the screen so that you can watch them even when you switch tabs
- Updated support for the latest Chromium/Blink version 50
Opera 36 was released on March 31, 2016.
Opera 36 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- New Start Page Layout
- New fresh Tab switcher
- Making progressive web apps easier to find on the web
- Web Bluetooth experiment
- Updated support for the latest Chromium/Blink version 49
Opera 35 was released on February 2, 2016.
Opera 35 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Tab muting
- Improved download interface
- Download notifications
- New Basic section in setting page
- 32-bit DEB/RPM for Linux users
- Updated support for the latest Chromium/Blink version 48
Opera 34 was released on December 8, 2015.
Opera 34 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Improvements to Opera Turbo mode
- Improvements to download manager
- The Discover feature is now the News feed
- Support for MSE audio (audio/mpeg and audio/aac mimetypes) - enables playback from Google Play Music and similar services
- New share button on Mac to share a webpage through apps
- Updated support for the latest Chromium/Blink version 47
Opera 33 was released on October 27, 2015.
Opera 33 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- New product logo - The 3-dimensional "O"
- TurbO2 compression - compresses images/videos, so users can surf the web fluidly even on slow internet
- Cleaned up the look of Opera on Mac
- Added support for H264 video and MP3 audio codecs on Linux
- Updated support for the latest Chromium/Blink release, version 46
Opera 32 was released on September 15, 2015.
Opera 32 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Boosted privacy
- Synchronization functionality
- Password sync
- New tree view mode for the bookmark view
- Option to install animated themes for the browser's Speed Dial screen
- Improvements to heart menu
- Updated support for the latest Chromium/Blink release, version 45
Opera 31 was released on August 4, 2015.
Opera 31 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Faster startup time - 70 faster for Opera on computers
- Discover gets a better layout
- Extends the browser's sync feature to also include typed history
Opera 30 was released on June 9, 2015.
Opera 30 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Faster switching between tabs - added a button to cycle through tabs
- Support for sidebar extensions to display contents in the browser's sidebar panel
- Option to undo the deletion of bookmarks
- Defense against Logjam
Opera 29 was released on April 28, 2015.
Opera 29 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Sync open tabs between devices - access your recently visited tabs from other devices (using sync technology)
- Sound notification to the tab favicon - to quickly locate any tab that is making a noise
Opera 28 was released on March 10, 2015.
Opera 28 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Bookmark Syncing - now you can sync bookmarks between your computer and your phone/tablet
- Bookmark suggestions are displayed when typing in the combined search and address bar
- Better integration with Mac OS
Opera 27 was released on January 27, 2015.
Opera 27 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Navigation Bar at the bottom - improves navigation between Speed Dial, Bookmarks, and Discover sections
- Tab Preview is back
Opera 26 was released on December 3, 2014.
Opera 26 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Bookmark sharing - share links with friends for up tO14 days
- Ability to migrate bookmarks from another web browser to Opera
- New print preview - users can now preview their print layout right in the browser
- Better integrated with Mac OS X Yosemite
Opera 25 was released on October 15, 2014.
Opera 25 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- New visual bookmarks - use the "heart" icon to bookmark by image
- 64-bit by default for Mac
- New Start page
- Integrated PDF Viewer
- A new Gaming category has been added in Discovery
Opera 24 was released on September 17, 2014.
Opera 24 is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Tab preview
- High DPI support
- Updated Chromium tO37
Opera 23 was released on August 12, 2014.
Opera 23 is available for Mac and Windows.
- New options to heart button in the address bar
- Support for unprefixed CSS transforms
- Improved stability
- Updated Chromium tO36
Opera 22 was released on June 03, 2014.
Opera 22 is available for Mac and Windows.
- New themes - 5 new themes inspired by Opera's birthplace, Norway
- Silent updates on Windows
- Updated Chromium tO35
Opera 21 was released on May 14, 2014.
Opera 21 is available for Mac and Windows.
- AdBlock is working again when opening pages in new tabs
- Support for "Aura" (a way to accelerate the entire browser experience using your PC's graphics card)
Opera 20 was released on March 04, 2014, and includes updates to the latest Chromium release, version 33.
Opera 20 is available for Mac and Windows.
- Dragable bookmarks - Drag your tabs to the bookmarks bar to save them. Drag your bookmarks onto your Speed Dial to create new entries
- New Speed Dial entries - Change the look of your Speed Dial entries in the advanced settings
Opera 19 was released on January 28, 2014, and includes updates to the latest Chromium release, version 32.
Opera 19 is available for Mac and Windows.
- Bookmarks bar - Save, organize, and easily access pages from the bookmarks bar
- Theme creation - Upload images or use images from the web to customize the look of your browser
Opera 18 was released on November 19, 2013, and includes updates to the latest Chromium release, version 31.
Opera 18 is available for Mac and Windows.
- Media access - Allow websites to access your camera/microphone, including support for HTML5 media access
- Themes - Themes from addons.opera.com can be installed through the theme manager
- Rocker gestures - Navigate back/forward in a tab's history by rocking your fingers across your mouse buttons
- Tab enhancement - You can now drag tabs between open windows
Opera 17 was released on October 10, 2013, and includes updates to the latest Chromium release, version 30.
Opera 17 is available for Mac and Windows.
- Pinned tabs - Allows you to pin tabs on the tab bar (can help prevent you from closing tabs accidentally)
- Custom search - Lets you add custom search engines to your combined search and address bar
Opera 16 was released on August 27, 2013, and includes updates to the latest Chromium release, version 29.
Opera 16 is available for Mac and Windows.
- Autofill - Allows you to securely store your addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and credit cards for use online
- Geolocation - Lets you share your location information with websites that request it
Opera 15 was released on July 2, 2013.
Opera 15 is available for Mac and Windows.
Opera 15 is a major reinvention for Opera. The browser's source code will be based on Chromium and Blink, a fork of the WebKit rendering engine. Everything for this browser is new:
- New rendering engine based on WebKit
- New user interface
- New capabilities
- New features
- Improved site compatibility
- Silent auto updates
- Combined address and search bar
- Enhanced Speed Dial - Allows you to combine Speed Dial entries into groups
- Stash feature - Records the location, meta data, and a screenshot of a page, and places this information into a collapsable list entry on the browser's Start Page, that can be searched by keyword and/or scanned visually by screenshot
- Discover - Displays news and topical content that can be filtered by category or location/language
- Off-Road mode - Adopts the server-side compression technology used by Opera Mobile
Opera 12 was released on June 13, 2012.
Opera 12 is available for Linux, Mac, FreeBSD, and Windows.
- Improved speed
- Camera support - First browser to support the W3C getUserMedia specification
- Themes - Opera 12 introduces lightweight themes
- Better Security Badge
- Improved HTML5 and CSS3 Support - such as HTML5 drag and drop and CSS3 transitions and animation
- Five new languages - Arabic, Persian, Urdu and Hebrew and Kazakh
- A page zoom slider
- Do Not Track support
Opera 11.60 was released on December 6, 2011.
Opera 11.60 is available for Linux, Mac, FreeBSD, and Windows.
- New browser engine - Faster and more stable Internet experience
- New mail design - A cleaner layout, message grouping, easier navigation, and a more intuitive view in your inbox
- Revamped address field - To add pages to your bookmarks or Speed Dial, just press the star in the address field
- Improved support for HTML5, CSS3, SVG
Opera 11.50 was released on June 28, 2011.
Opera 11.50 is available for Linux, Mac, FreeBSD, and Windows.
- Sleeker user interface
- Added functionality for Opera's pioneering Speed Dial feature - Embed your Sped Dial with extensions that keep you updated instantly instead of thumbnails linking to your favorite links
- Password Synchronization - Let you synchronize password securely and safely with other Opera browsers
- Faster graphics performance
- Improved support for HTML5, CSS3, SVG
Opera 11.10 was released in April 2011.
Opera 11.10 is available for Linux, Mac, FreeBSD, and Windows.
- Speed Dial 2.0 - Your favorite pages now have clearer previews, and dials can even dynamically show live content for websites. There is now no limit to how many dials you can use
- Opera Turbo enhanced - Boost your browsing speed on crowded Wi-Fi hotspots, tethered mobile phones or dial-up connections
- Simple Plug-in installation - With this release, the most popular plug-in, Adobe Flash Player, installs seamlessly and automatically
- New CSS3 Support - Opera now supports CSS3 linear gradients and multiple columns
Opera 11 was released in December 2010.
Opera 11 is available for Linux, Mac, FreeBSD, and Windows.
- Opera PrestO2.7 rendering engine - Better support for CSS3 and HTML5
- Tab Stacking - Often we open a lot of tabs and find it difficult to adjust and manage. Opera 11 lets you drag one tab over another to create groups of tabs. Now you can keep dozens of webpages open, organized, and under control
- Secure address field - An improved address field makes it easier to stay safe on the Web, and it now hides the complexity of long web addresses. It also provides more security information to help you stay safe when browsing; just click the badge for the website to see security information about the site you are visiting
- Visual Mouse Gestures - Allows common browser actions with a quick flick of your mouse. Holding down the right mouse button on a web page now shows a visual guide that indicates how to perform the available gestures
- Opera installer for Microsoft Windows platforms - Opera has a new installer written in-house, which is much faster than the previously used MSI installer.
- New Extensions & Mail Panel - A bunch of new extensions and a new mail panel for a quick usage of email
Older Opera Versions
Opera 10.5 - Released in March 2010.
Opera 10.0 - Released in September 2009.
Opera 9.5 - Released in June 2008.
Opera 9.0 - Released in June 2006.
Opera 8.5 - Released in September 2005.
Opera 8.0 - Released in April 2005.