What is ES5?
ES5 is a shortcut for ECMAScript 5
ECMAScript 5 is also known as ECMAScript 2009
ECMAScript 5 was released in 2009.
ECMAScript 5 Features
These were the new features released in 2009:
- The "use strict" Directive
- Property Getters and Setters
- New Object Property Methods
ECMAScript 5 Syntactical Changes
- Property access [ ] on strings
- Trailing commas in array and object literals
- Multiline string literals
- Reserved words as property names
Browser Support for ES5 (2009)
Chrome 23, IE 10, and Safari 6 were the first browsers to fully support ECMAScript 5:
|Chrome 23||IE10 / Edge||Firefox 21||Safari 6||Opera 15|
|Sep 2012||Sep 2012||Apr 2013||Jul 2012||Jul 2013|
Internet Explorer 9 (March 2011) supports ES 5 except for "use strict".
Full ECMAScript 5 Tutorial
This has been a short introduction to ECMAScript 5.