Excel SUMIF Function
The SUMIF function is a premade function in Excel, which calculates the sum of values in a range based on a true or false condition.
It is typed
The condition is referred to as
criteria, which can check things like:
- If a number is greater than another number
- If a number is smaller than another number
- If a number or text is equal to something
[sum_range] is the range where the function calculates the sum.
[sum_range] is optional.
If not specified, the function calculates the sum of the same range as the condition.
Note: The different parts of the function are separated by a symbol, like comma
, or semicolon
The symbol depends on your Language Settings.
Example SUMIF function
Find the sum of Total stats for Grass type Pokemon:
The condition is that the type is "Grass".
Example SUMIF function, step by step:
- Select the cell
- Double click the SUMIF command
- Specify the range for the condition
B2:B10(the Type 1 values)
- Specify the criteria (the cell
E3, which has the value "Grass")
- Specify the range for the sum
C2:C10(the Total values)
- Hit enter
The function now sums the Total stats for Grass type Pokemon.
The function can be repeated for the other Pokemon types to compare them:
Now, we can see the sum of total stats for the different types of Pokemon: